Futurist Case Study
CASE STUDY: AMAZON
From everyday goods to that one obscure product you’ve been researching for months, Amazon has changed the way we shop online. As a result, the company’s CEO is worth over $100 billion, making him the wealthiest business leader in history.
Amazon is a trendsetter because of its resilience and willingness to explore the unconventional. But how does the company put those values into action? Here are a few examples for how Amazon has made itself the ultimate futurist.
- One-click purchasing and fast shipping reduce the amount of time customers spend shopping and waiting for their items to arrive.
- The company is always looking for innovative ways to get their products to shoppers even faster. So far, Amazon has made Prime Now, a 2-hour delivery service, available in major cities, and considered using delivery drones to drop off goods in record time.
- Amazon.com is accessible. The website is easy for anyone to navigate, from the tech savvy to, well, the not-so-tech savvy.
- Amazon isn’t just a retailer. The company also invents, produces, and sells tech gadgets like the Kindle, Echo, and Fire stick.
- Amazon has combined shopping with donating to charity. With Amazon Smile, shoppers can donate 0.5 percent of their purchase totals to the non-profit organization of their choice.
Other big names that share the “futurist” archetype are Elon Musk and GE. What core similarities do you see between these figures and Amazon?