My friend Cherise Bangs sent me this recipe! She’s an international Ayurveda expert and helped me with a cleanse! This recipe is absolutely delicious!
- 1/2 cup organic split yellow mung beans(or whole green mung beans)
- Yellow beans are more porridge-like
- 1/2 cup organic white basmati rice
- 3 and 1/2 cups spring water
- 1/2 inch slice of organic fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon organic fresh turmeric powder
- 1 teaspoon of organic coriander powder
- 1 teaspoon of organic cumin powder
- 2 tablespoon of organic Ghee (clarified butter), sesame oil or coconut oil
- 2 pinch sea salt
- 2 organic lime wedge (optional)
- 1/2 cup of fresh chopped organic cilantro leaves (coriander) Bring water to a boil in a pot, add rice, beans ginger and salt.
Cover and simmer on low for 30 minutes until tender with a porridge-like consistency.
In a saucepan, saute spices in ghee (or oil from above) for a minute, then mix into rice and beans.
You can add steamed seasonal veggies about 5 min before kitchari is ready so as to not overcook veggies.
Top w cilantro and lime.